Thursday, May 1, 2008

Being Artistic or Just Plain Cheating?

I was admiring a landscape photograph I saw in a magazine today - wishing I could take shots like the photographer. In my head, I was scheming how I would position the camera, would would be my shutter setting, which lens would be more appropriate, etc. and then I flipped the page to read the article which accompanied the photograph. Bloody hell! Seems the photograph was a Photoshop creation where the photographer to three different photographs and spliced them together. The building was from one photograph, the sky from another, and the ground from yet another.

Is this photography? I'm sure many would argue this is being artistic. Taking pieces of something to put together and create something new; however, I cannot help but feel like it is cheating. If the shot isn't there, the shot isn't there. Why fake it?

No comments: